Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
1 tbsp. Canola/olive oil, divided
¾ cup chopped onion
2 garlic cloves, chopped
5 regular or whole-wheat hamburger buns, toasted and divided
400g white button mushrooms, sliced
1x 400g tin lentils, drained
4 tsp. mustard, divided
2 tsp. chopped fresh thyme
½ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
¼ tsp. salt
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
30g feta cheese, crumbled
1 ½ tbsp. canola mayonnaise
½ cup rocket
- Preheat the grill.
- Heat a large non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat. Add 1 tsp. of oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add onion and garlic; sauté 3 minutes or until onion is tender. Remove from heat.
- Place 1 bun in a food processor; process until coarse crumbs form. Remove breadcrumbs from food processor; set aside.
- Combine mushrooms, lentils, 2 teaspoons mustard, and the next 3 ingredients (through salt) in food processor; pulse to combine.
- Combine onion mixture, breadcrumbs, mushroom mixture, and eggs in a large bowl, stirring well. Divide mixture into 4 equal portions, gently shaping each into a 1.5cm-thick patty. Heat a large non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat.
- Add the remaining 2 teaspoons oil to pan; swirl to coat.
- Add patties; cook for 4 minutes on each side or until browned. Remove patties from pan; arrange in a single layer on a baking sheet.
- Sprinkle patties evenly with cheese. Place under grill for 2 minutes or until cheese is softened.
- Combine canola mayonnaise and remaining 2 teaspoons mustard in a small bowl. Spread the top half of each of the remaining 4 buns with 2 teaspoons mayonnaise mixture.
- Top each bottom half of bun with 1 patty. Divide rocket evenly among burgers; top with top half of bun, mayonnaise-coated side down.